With the rise of the eSports, a lot of traditional headphones are having to step up their game. Many professional players will use a gaming headset to help them gain an edge over the competition. These gaming headsets are usually designed to block out background noise, so they are perfect for those long hours of gaming. However, not all gaming headsets are created equal. So to help you choose the right gaming headset here are the best headphones for competitive gaming.
Best Headphones For Competitive Gaming 2022
Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro
The Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro Open Studio Headphone is a high end headset that will provide you with comfort and durability. It has a 250 ohms impedance and can be connected to your computer or TV via the dual 3.5 mm jacks that are on both sides of the headphones.
The ear cups rotate 90 degrees which makes them compact enough to fit in your bag easily, so if you’re traveling they’re easy to carry around. They have an open construction which means that they have no noise cancellation but it also ensures zero sound leakage so nobody else will hear what you are listening to.
- Open design for superior sound.
- Dual jacks let you connect to PC or TV.
- Soft ear pads are comfortable and can be worn for hours on end.
- Open design means no noise cancellation.
Sennheiser HD 598
The Sennheiser HD 598 is a high quality headset that will provide you with a comfortable fit and superior sound quality. It has a 3m cable so it’s long enough to reach from your computer to your desk, though if you need more length the cord can easily be replaced.
It also have a great frequency range from 10 – 39000 Hz, making it perfect for competitive gaming in particular due to it’s rich sound.
- Long cord for ease of use.
- Features a 3m cable that can be replaced if necessary.
- Velour padding is comfortable and breathable, allowing them to be used for hours on end without discomfort.
- Open back design means these do not block out noise or provide any kind of noise cancellation.
Sennheiser GAME ONE
The Sennheiser GAME ONE is a high quality headset that will provide you with dynamic sound and superior comfort. It has an impedance of only 32 ohms which means it can be powered by pretty much any device, though if you’re using it with your PC or Mac then all you’ll need is the cable because it already comes with 2 plugs that connect directly to those devices (1 4 pole plug and 1 3 pole plug).
The ear cups are closed design for noise cancellation so the only thing you’ll hear is what’s coming through the headphones. These are perfect for competitive gaming thanks to their great sound quality and ability to drown out outside noise.
- Powerful drivers allow for dynamic sound with rich bass.
- Closed ear design for noise cancellation while still remaining comfortable.
- Comes with 2 connection cables (1 4 pole and 1 3 pole) so they can be used with both PCs and Macs.
- 32 ohms means these are not recommended for use with anything other than computers/Macs.
Creative Sound BlasterX H7 Tournament Edition
The Creative Sound BlasterX H7 Tournament Edition headset is a high end device that features 40mm drivers that deliver deep, clear audio. It has an adjustable mic on one side of the headphones which allows you to position it in whatever way is most convenient for you, whether you want to pull it up or push it back out of your vision.
These are sound canceling so they will drown out any external noise while you are gaming. The ear cups are interchangeable, meaning if you need replacements for some reason or want to switch it up with different colored covers there’s no problem.
Creative Sound BlasterX H7 have a braided cord which makes it very durable and tangle free. For competitive gamers this headphone provide excellent sound quality along with noise cancellation that allows you to focus on the game at all times.
- Perfect if you’re looking for high end audio performance.
- 40mm drivers deliver superior bass and clear highs.
- Interchangeable ear cups allow you to switch up the look of your headset whenever you want.
- Since this is considered a higher end product it comes with an high price.
HyperX Cloud II
The HyperX Cloud II is a high end headset that features an adjustable mic and memory foam ear cups. It has 53mm drivers which allow for superior sound quality so you will be able to pinpoint exactly where each sound in the game is coming from, making it easier for you to determine whether or not your opponents might be trying to ambush you.
The ear cups are closed design with leatherette material which provides noise isolation so all you’ll hear while wearing these is what’s coming through the headphones.
This makes it perfect for competitive gaming because it’s incredibly reliable and don’t let any outside distractions get between you and your game.
- Memory foam padding makes these very comfortable for long term use without the need to constantly adjust them.
- 53mm drivers allow for excellent high end and superior bass.
- Closed ear design allows noise cancellation so you only hear what’s coming through the headphones.
- Expensive, but if you’re looking for a quality headset with great sound this is a good choice.
- Doesn’t come with a spare set of ear or head pads, though they are replaceable if damaged or lost.
AULA Ghost Shark:
When it comes down to choosing the perfect gaming headset your options really depend on how much you’re willing to spend. In general, though, all of these headsets provide superior comfort and high end sound quality that will allow you to focus on the game.
The AULA Ghost Shark is a great mid range headset with powerful drivers for deep bass and clear highs as well as noise isolation so you can drown out any external distractions while you’re playing.
- 53mm drivers provide a wide frequency response for dynamic sound.
- USB plug works with PC or Mac.
- Closed ear design for noise cancellation.
- Low end material may feel cheap to some users, though it can be replaced if necessary or desired.
Turtle Beach Ear Force Z SEVEN:
When you’re looking at the best headphones for competitive gaming it’s really all about getting your hands on a headset that is comfortable, delivers superior sound quality and noise cancellation.
The Turtle Beach Ear Force Z SEVEN is a great mid range option with excellent sound quality at an affordable price yet still considered high end by many gamers. The Turtle Beach Ear Force Z SEVEN offers superb audio performance but has a higher price tag attached to it, though some might consider it worth the extra money for overall quality. If you’re looking for a premium headset then you can’t go wrong with the Turtle Beach Ear Force Z SEVEN which offers an abundance of quality, comfort and durability.
- 50mm neodymium drivers deliver superior sound quality for both highs and lows.
- Noise isolation keeps external distractions to a minimum while you’re playing competitively.
- Cord is a little shorter than most headsets.
Sennheiser PC 363D:
The Sennheiser PC 363D offers 50mm drivers for excellent bass and clear highs while also providing superior noise cancellation so you’re not distracted by things going on around you. It’s an overall great headset that is comfortable and well-suited for most gaming purposes.
- 50mm drivers provide excellent bass, midrange and high end frequencies.
- Closed ear design ensures noise isolation; not recommended to be used with VR due to sound leakage.
Razer Kraken Pro V2:
If you’re looking for some of the best headphones for competitive gaming then you should certainly consider investing in a quality set that provides superior performance without breaking your bank account.
Razer Kraken Pro V2 offers great value for money with its 50mm drivers and noise cancelling ear cups, the Razer Kraken Pro V2 offers a better overall sound performance with superior bass.
If you’re willing to spend a little more money on a headset then the Razer Kraken Pro V2 provides a slightly better experience but at a higher price tag.
- 50mm neodymium magnet drivers provide powerful bass sounds while maintaining focusing on clarity of mids and highs.
- Leatherette memory foam cushions are super thick for extra comfort during long hours of gameplay.
- Detachable microphone that can be rotated up when not in use or easily detached if necessary or desired.
- Mic quality may not be the best for streaming.
HyperX Cloud Stinger:
The HyperX Cloud Stinger is a great, affordable headset that offers excellent bass while still maintaining focus on keeping other sounds clear. However, it doesn’t come with an in-line remote which can be crucial to some gamers who are looking for that extra level of convenience.
HyperX Cloud Stinger comes with an impressive battery life of up to 40 hours but considering you’re investing in gaming headphones then you probably don’t want to have to charge them every few days or so. It would be nice if there was at least a small LED indicator to show when charging was necessary.
This headset is considered to be one of the best headphones for competitive gamers because it offers a lot of value for money with its 50mm drivers and noise cancellation microphone.
- Very comfortable since the ear cups are made from memory foam.
- Convenient in line controls attached on 1.5m extender cable.
- Not ideal for prolonged use without breaks since they can become uncomfortable after extended periods of time.
While there’s certainly a number of great headsets for competitive gamers, the HyperX Cloud Stinger is our top pick. The main selling point of this particular headset is that it provides high quality sound performance at an affordable price tag. It also comes with an in line remote which makes it easier to adjust volume and mute the microphone without having to access your settings on the computer.
If you’re looking for one of the best headphones for competitive gaming then consider investing in something like the HyperX Cloud Stinger rather than opting for something more expensive but ultimately less effective.