The keyboard is one part of the investment banking calculator which receives the most attention. It is the most important tool for an investment banker because it helps him with data entry tasks, calculations, and reports with its unique design.
Investment bankers either like IBM Model M or Unicomp or Maxi Switch keyboards because of its unique buckling spring key switch. IBM Model M is popular among computer geeks who can spend some extra money on high-quality hardware products; Unicomp owns more than 90% of the market share in the replacement market, but Maxi Switch competes with them by providing old-style buckling spring keyboards at a very affordable price (but still more expensive than rubber dome manufacturers). Say goodbye to your boring rubber domes by purchasing Best Keyboard For Investment Banking.
Best Keyboard For Investment Banking 2022
1. IBM Model M:
IBM Model M was the king of buckling spring keyboards which exploded in popularity in early 1990s. Due to its unique design and great quality, it has become the most popular keyboard for an investment banker even today after more than 20 years.
There are many clones on the market like Filco (no longer sold), Maxi Switch (most common replacement model), Unicomp (still make them with original IBM factory’s license; more expensive than Maxi switch) etc… But IBM Model M is still considered as one of the finest keyboard by many professional typists because of its unique buckling spring design, which will provide emotional satisfaction to a serious typist. IBM model M is so loud that even the other person in the same room can hear it. But if you love your job and want to get rid of rubber dome keyboard for ever, IBM Model M is a good choice.
It has various kinds of layout options like ISO , ANSI , JIS etc… from different country regions. So make sure you choose correct layout option when buying one. See my detailed guide on how to select correct input devices . Oh, btw it has PS/2 interface only (no USB). You should buy PS/2 to USB adapter as well or use old PC which has PS/2 port.
- Unique buckling spring key switch.
- Made in USA.
- More than 20 years life cycle (even more than 30 years for few models).
- Noisy as hell.
- Expensive [Update Sep 2016: Old model becoming cheaper due to low demand and PC makers stopped making PS/2 interface].
- Limited layout options [Update Sep 2015: Unicomp started selling new ANSI version with USB-PS2 adapter, but still expensive].
- Few colors/materials.
2. Unicomp Ultra Classic Model M:
Unicomps are made by using original IBM tooling and engineering team to provide buckling spring keyboards at very affordable price (but still more expensive than rubber dome manufacturers). Maxi Switch is the most common replacement model and US international layout (ISO) is default option out of box and you should buy different version only if you need. They use ALPS key switch mechanism which provides tactile feeling with proper snap back like IBM Model M. You can find old style model like this on their website.
Maxi switch has wide range of products to cater for different people such as gamers, programmers, business user etc.. They also have unique selection called ‘buckling spring key switch’. You can select proper (clicky or tactile) version on Maxi-switch. Don’t forget to add PS/2 to USB adapter if you need USB connectivity.
- Affordable price.
- More layout options than IBM Model M [US international ISO, ANSI and JIS available].
- Unique (but ALPS based) buckling spring key switch.
- Made in USA.
- Fully compatible with PC and Mac.
- Tactile feeling, just like IBM model M.
3. Cherry G80-3000 Keyboard:
Cherry G80-3000 keyboard is Cherry’s high end product featuring Cherry MX Brown switches (tactile feel) with sound dampening O-rings. It provides corporate level build quality and full NKRO support via USB interface which can be used to connect up to 6 devices simultaneously without ghosting issues. So it can act as both USB mechanical switch based Keyboard or usual membrane Keyboard by unplugging the USB cable. It features 2 USB ports on the back for this purpose, but unfortunately they are using mini USB port instead of micro USB which I prefer.
Cherry G80-3000 also has ultra slim design just like IBM model M and provides almost 80% key layout coverage compared to standard 104 keys layouts, best for data entry professionals.
- Cherry MX switches.
- NKRO, 6 N-Key Rollover capable.
- Highly durable PBT plastic housing.
- Ultra-slim design.
- Detachable USB cable + 2 mini USB ports.
- Standard 104 keys layout.
- Unavailable in US Layout.
- Mini USB port instead of Micro USB.
- Rubber dome over membrane base Structure.
4. Das Keyboard 4 Professional:
Das Keyboard 4 Professional Series came with best pricing and best customer support for Cherry MX Switches mechanical keyboards in market. It features best build quality along with best key caps which reduces typing noise to minimum and provides best tactile feeling compared even to high end models from other manufacturers especially IBM Model M. It also has best placement for dedicated media controls that helps you to avoid changing keyboard layout like other rubber dome based keyboards (when you need to use Function keys as media keys).
- Top build quality.
- Dedicated media control & quick volume adjustment.
- Replaceable key caps.
- Best keycap tactile feedback.
- Gold plated USB connections.
- Standard key layout.
- Best pricing.
- Will take much space on your desk.
- Loud click noise while typing.
- White backlight model is not so good in darkness.
- Extra long braided cable, still no USB hub.
5. HyperX Alloy Core Keyboard:
HyperX alloy core is a really cool-looking keyboard with all kinds of crazy buttons and lights which makes it one of its kind product in the market right now. It come with all kind of color combination and lighting effects at affordable price to attract gamer community. But the main attraction point is HyperX alloy core comes with Cherry MX switches which are much better than rubber dome based keyboards.
- Affordable, good pricing.
- No NKRO.
- Many unnecessary buttons.
- Only for gaming purposes.
- Avg build quality.
- Not available in international layouts.
- Does not have standard key layout.
6. Filco Majestouch 2 Camouflage:
Filco keyboard is a Japanese brand that manufactures the best mechanical keyboards without any compromises on quality.
They are basically Cherry MX equipped with a standard key layout along with NKRO support via USB interface. Some models come with Windows keys for gamers, but not all professional-grade keyboards come with this feature.
You will find most of the models available in the international variants as shown below where you can select your desired language and also get ISO layout version if required.
They have the widest range of keyboard accessories like custom-made keycaps, aluminium cases, etc available for a reasonable price too.
- Best built quality.
- Standard key layout.
- Wider model range.
- Detachable USB cable.
- NKRO via USB.
- Wide range of accessories available at competitive pricing.
- Not available in all international layouts.
- Wider base takes more space on your desk.
7. Perixx Periboard-512 Ergonomic Split Keyboard:
This is another custom keyboard manufacturer whose products are quite popular among bankers, gamers and programmers alike around the world where you can get your keyboard with any kind of switches, layouts, backlighting, etc to fit your budget or requirements.
They have a wide range of keyboards including standard 104/105 key layout keyboards along with 61 key compact design, Tenkeyless designs etc too depending upon your choice.
Most of their products are aimed for gamers where they offer Cherry MX Switches only whereas some other models also come with rubber dome-based keys too.
- Custom key layout.
- Wide range of switches to select.
- Competitive pricing.
- Good build quality.
- High end custom keyboards available.
- Not available in all international layouts.
- No backlighting option.
The Best Keyboard For Investment Banking is the one which has high quality keys along with standard key layout.
It should have good build-quality and durability to handle heavy usage in long run. You should look for dedicated controls like media control buttons, backlighting etc in your keyboard too which helps you not to change keyboard layouts while working on different functions.